Thursday, February 7, 2008

Go Break Something

So, I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the phrase, “if it’s not broke, break it” and since I’m falling behind in the bloging world again, I figured I better get some thoughts down. I heard the phrase, “if it’s not broke, break it” over and over again in the business school at UCF. They hammered in us the idea that if businesses are to survive they must be innovative and adaptable to the cultural changes around them. As we listened to companies talk about how they used innovation and creativity to stay on top, that phrase seems to make a lot of since. We heard from companies like McDonalds, who added a whole new product line because people became more health conscious, and AT&T, who puts a ton of time and money into developing new technology. It just makes sense. The funny thing is that when I got out of UCF and hit the business world, I quickly found out that not all business like the idea of change. In fact, I had many managers who felt very threatened by new ideas and innovative thinking. Their overlying thought was; this is what has worked for us in the past, we aren’t going to try to start changing things now. What I find very interesting is that 2 companies that I worked for, who definitely did not embrace change, went out of business. Now these weren’t small companies. Both were nationwide firms whose sales were in the multi-millions. However, with both firms you could see the market shifting and the climate changing, but the company did not. Consequently, sales started dropping and in the end both firms went under. What’s strange is that companies know that if they do not adapt they will go down the road of the companies I worked for. Yes, there are exceptions, but usually those exceptions experience no real new growth.

I say all that because the more I read and the more I look at statistics, I think the majority of our churches here in America are going down the same path as those companies I worked for. Churches seem to be just set in their ways and instead of engaging culture to reach people, they run from it and call it evil. I think for far too long our churches have embraced their traditions and haven’t truly loved their neighbors. For far too long churches have worried about how everyone else in the church community views them, instead of wondering why 80% of our city doesn’t go to church. That’s why I love what’s happening at C3. At C3 we have made “change” part of our culture. While our message of Christ’s love hasn’t changed, the way we deliver that message has. We’ve engaged culture instead of running away from it and use creativity to communicate God’s love. And as we head into our 6th week here in the theaters, what I’ve personally seen and heard is that we are beginning to impact that 80%. I’m so thankful for a church and a staff that’s willing to break a few things so that people can meet a loving God.